Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Featured Seller #5 - countingstitches

CountingStitches has a cute little shop, full of crocheted and beaded lovelies. With everything from blueberry earrings to a sock monkey iPod cozy, she's got something for everyone. Here's her interview!



What's your real name?
My real name is Sharon.

Any fun stories behind your shop name?
I have been knitting and crocheting for over 30 yrs and my shop was to have items in knit and crochet. I couldn't figure out a name and thought, well, I am always counting stitches with whatever I make, so I will call my shop "countingstitches". I also learned to make jewelry 3 yrs ago which gave me a break from counting stitches :) I started out slow but researched and now my jewelry is getting better.

When did you start crafting, and why?
I started crafting when I was 12, I first learned to knit and crochet at the same time then. I had become sick with rheumatic fever back then and was bedridden for a year. The lady down the street came to visit on and off and decided she would teach me to knit and crochet at the same time. One week it was crochet and one week it was knit, till I got the hang of it, so that is what I did for a year besides watch tv. That's when I started to make potholders, dishcloths, slippers and the ever so popular "poodle dog bottle covers". I was a saleswoman from the start because when I got better, I sold my goodies to the neighbor people and thus began my journey of crafting and selling.



What inspires you?
I started selling my items at a craft bazaar almost 10 yrs ago, that's when I got inspired to do more, I checked into the other bazaars every year and did more each year. Then I found out about the Farmer's Markets 3 yrs ago and really like selling there, so that was a start of expanding my horizon. Then I found Etsy and thought I would give it a try during the off season. At first I was really disappointed because like the bazaars and markets you think everyone is going to visit and start buying, but I was wrong. It's different selling online. It's a whole new ball game. After the first year and selling only 4 items, I gave up. Thank goodness the markets were starting up again, I knew I would do much better there. Then after the markets there were the holiday bazaars. Then after the bazaars there was nothing, so I came back to Etsy to try once again, this time I spent several weeks researching and researching other Etsians to see how they presented themselves and what they did to keep their heads afloat. I learned the tricks of the trade and have become a success

Are there any Etsy sellers that inspire you, or that you really look up to?
All the different artists on Etsy inspire me, their colors, their ideas of what they make, I've always had a hard time putting colors together when they are apart, but if I throw them all together then I can see what would go good together, must be the dyslexic thing I have :) LaughingStarfish inspires me with her combination of colors, she does beautiful work. Mikkelina inspires me with her ability to use organic material to put her beautiful jewelry together. As far as my knitting and crocheting go, I get inspired by all the different items made by fellow Etsians that knit and crochet, you can make just about anything with yarn.

What's your favorite item of those you currently have listed, and why?
My favorite item of what I have currently listed is my crocheted purse, it has no seams and is made with 2 strands of acrylic yarn for thickness and strength and is machine washable. I sold these at the markets and bazaars like hotcakes. I do make them in different colors but they sold last Christmas and haven't made any since then but will be making more.



Do you have any advice you'd like to share for people trying to make it in the crafting world?
My advice to other crafters starting out, don't give up, persistence, patience and endurance will pay off. You will have your ups and downs but research and learning is the best way to make it work. Everyone has a talent, you just need to develop it.

What's your favorite website, other than Etsy?
My other favorite website other than Etsy is Crochetville, there are so many people with so many helpful ideas there from all over the world. There is always someone there to help whether you have a question regarding yarn or if you are looking for a pattern or if you just need a shoulder to cry on. I have been on there for 2 yrs now and still love it, they have so many swaps to join : )

Any last words?
My last words are, I am so happy to finally work at something I enjoy doing and make money at it too. I used to be a secretary for over 15 yrs and then became an administrative secretary. I one day realized that I didn't want to sit in 4 walled office for the rest of my life, day in and day out. I had had enough of that and thanks to my dear husband I am now able to work and enjoy it also.

To all the crafters out there, you can do it too, don't give up, look for the different venues out there, they are waiting for you :)

My best wishes to all the crafters,
Sharon

Thank you, Sharon!



Visit Sharon's shop and let her know you saw her here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great interview and shop items! Countingstitches is really a cool and cute shop: Among all the cute items, I think her little "lipgloss cozies keyrings" are so clever!
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=5749993

Thank you also for including me in your "favorite etsy sellers" list! wow!
Mikkelina