Saturday, April 7, 2007

Featured Seller #4 - katybdesigns

katybdesigns has such a lovely shop, with very interesting photos showing off her jewelry! If you own a little black dress, you definitely need to stop by. Here's what she had to say...


What's your real name?
Kathleen Brillon

Any fun stories behind your shop name?
well, when I started making jewelry, I didn't have a website so I chose a name that was similar to my email address so that people would remember it, hence KatyB. I know... not the most exciting answer. Since coming to Etsy, I think my name is much more recognizable now and having an online shop really helps! I can let people know exactly where to go to shop!

When did you start crafting, and why?

Hmmm... since birth! lol I would drive my parents crazy making things, using up all the tape in the house, building things in the basement with my Dad's wood pile. It's been with me all my life and luckily I had parents who encouraged me to be creative. Jewelry, I have been making for about 9 years now. A fellow Art teacher friend from New Bedford, MA got me interested in beading and I've been hooked ever since!



What inspires you?
Color and Nature are my big inspirations. I love playing with color combinations and trying out new things. I enjoy colors that remind me of Nature and the world around us. Since I grew up in New Bedford, MA, the beach is a huge influence in my life. And now that my husband and I are living in the country in CT, where the beach is a much longer drive, I'm finding flowers, trees and especially birds have inspired me.

Are there any Etsy sellers that inspire you, or that you really look up to?
Wow, so many! Probably too many to list. Jenmaestre's work is AMAZING, I never knew pencils could be so beautiful. Memoryisart does some wonderful things with paper. And as a jewelry artist I'm inspired by all the wonderful artists I see doing new and exciting things. Fellow Etsians have some really amazing work, and I hope to be at that caliber some day.

What's your favorite item of those you currently have listed, and why?
This one is easy! lol I just listed it last night! And believe it or not it was sitting in a gift shop and never sold!! I couldn't believe it, so I took it back and now hopefully Etsy will give it some love! But it's my Honey Opal and Swarovski Necklace, it is stunning in person.



Do you have any advice you'd like to share for people trying to make it in the crafting world?
well, I'm not quite an expert in this area but I guess they need to first of all love what they do. If a person loves their craft, it shows. They live and breath it! Secondly, get your name out there, email friends and ask them to forward it to their friends and so on. Hand out business cards to everyone who compliments their craft. Basically be your own best advertisement.

What's your favorite website, other than Etsy?
That's a tough one... I'm so addicted to being on Etsy right now..lol But a website I enjoy once in a while is the HGTV website to find out information about gardening and landscape design. Also, all the wonderful bead and finding sites that are out there.

Any last words?
It has been my pleasure to be on your blog, and an honor to be chosen. To all the crafters out there just keep doing what you love (and try not to drive your husbands too crazy with "But, I NEED these!!" hehehe)

Thank you, Kathleen!



Visit katybdesigns' shop, and let her know you saw her here!

No comments: